Stephen J. Incavo MD
Section Chief, Adult Reconstructive Surgery – Houston Methodist Hospital Center for Orthopaedic Surgery
Professor of Clinical Orthopaedic Surgery – Institute for Academic Medicine
Houston Methodist Hospital / Weill Cornell Medical College
Dr. Incavo specializes in hip and knee replacement surgery and the correction of failed joint replacement surgeries. He also treats arthritis of the hip and knee nonsurgically and with the latest less invasive technologies. Committed to excellence, he provides the highest quality of orthopedic care and strives to achieve optimal, long term results. Along with the treatment of immediate or chronic problems, he integrates prevention into all of his treatment plans to reduce risk of future problems.
Dr. Incavo has been listed in the “Guide to America’s Top Surgeons” and featured among H Texas Top Doctors. He is dedicated to research to improve hip and knee replacement outcomes, internationally publishing scientific articles and book chapters on hip and knee replacement surgery. He is one of only a few surgeons worldwide to be a member of both The Hip Society and The Knee Society and is regularly invited to present his work at national meetings.
Teaching residents and fellows his hip and knee replacement techniques for over 20 years, Dr. Incavo frequently serves as an invited lecturer for other orthopedic departments and institutions. He has worked closely with the orthopedic medical device industry to improve treatment and patient outcome, and he holds multiple patents. He also serves as a primary referral source for complex reconstructive hip and knee problems.
Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
Upstate Medical Center, Syracuse, NY
Medical Center Hospital of Vermont, Burlington, VT
Orthopedic Surgery Residency
Medical Center Hospital of Vermont, Burlington, VT
Joint Replacement Surgery Fellowship
Department of Orthopedics, University of Vermont, College of Medicine
- Deputy Chair, Houston Methodist Hospital, Department of Orthopedics and Sports Medicine
- Section Chief, Adult Reconstructive Surgery, Houston Methodist Orthopedics & Sports Medicine – Houston Methodist Hospital
- Professor, Clinical Orthopaedic Surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University
- Adjunct Professor at the Texas A&M College of Medicine
- Program Director, Adult & Knee Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship, Houston Methodist Center for Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor, Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, University of Vermont, College of Medicine
- Director, Total Joint Replacement Service, Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, University of Vermont, College of Medicine
- Graduate Faculty, Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, University of Vermont, College of Medicine
Awards & Honors
- The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) 2018 Achievement Award, May 10, 2018.
- The Houston Methodist Hospital Teaching Faculty Award for Exemplary Service and Commitment to Teaching Residents in Adult Reconstructive Surgery, July 2016-June 2018 - Texas Medical Center
- The 2015 AAHKS Best Poster Award in the Knee category at the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, November 5-8, 2015 in Dallas, TX.
- The 2014 Best of AAOS Poster Awards, Range of Motion after Dual Mobility Total Hip Arthroplasty: Femoral Head Size and Surgical Approach – Does it Matter? The 2014 Annual Meeting, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, March 11-15 New Orleans, LA.
- The Methodist Hospital Teaching Faculty Award for Exemplary Service and Commitment to Teaching Residents in Adult Reconstructive Surgery July 2012 – June 2013, Texas Medical Center.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 80th Annual Meeting Award Program 2013 for the video presentation, Surgical Technique for Articulating Spacers with Stem Extensions to Treat the Infected TKA.
- Guide to America’s Top Surgeons, 2006 edition.
- Frank Stinchfield Award – Awarded by the Hip Society for the paper entitled “Effects of Early vs. Late Polymethylmethacrylate Intrusion into Cancellous Bone,” 2002.
- Charles A. Dana Scholar for High Academic Achievement and Effective Leadership, Colgate University.
- Magna Cum Laude, Colgate University.
- Phi Beta Kappa, Colgate University.
- The Knee Society Education Committee (2015-2018), Chairman (2016-2017)
- The Hip Society
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS)
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- AAOS Council On Education Chair of the Hip and Knee Content Committee (03/2017-03/2019)
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Recertification, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
- Texas Medical License
A Little Known Fact: Dr. Incavo is also an accomplished musician with his own CDs; The Colorful Clarinet, Colorful Clarinet Duets, Colorful Clarinet Quintets.
Listen to Dr. Incavo’s recent concert (Effortless Concert at St. Thomas University).
Below Dr. Incavo performs in the Margaret Alkek Williams Crain Garden at Houston Methodist Hospital.